Sunday, November 18, 2012

Week 7: Learner Autonomy and One Computer-Based Class


  Although it is sad that I cannot access to great discussions at my class anymore, I’ve learned a lot from discussions about some issues—learner autonomy and one computer-based class—and about new technology.

  Learner autonomy is one of the crucial elements teachers need to hold through a whole class time; however, it is not easy to keep students learning voluntarily in a large class. In fact, I had several problems with controlling a large class before since 36 students with all different levels learned the same thing in the class. Therefore, students had less interest on a subject and seemed not to expect they could learn a lot through the class. With a computer in the class, I could help students to concentrate on the subject; however, I fail to make them autonomous. In that point, I am surprised how my colleagues at the discussion are utilizing various technology and skills with one computer or even nothing to engage students in the class. Thus, I believe I also can be an ‘autonomous’ teacher with various activities using an interactive PPT, WebQuest, PBL and online-assessment.

  Wallwisher, what a fancy technology! It is a little difficult to look through all information that people posted since it is not based on linear arrangement. Still I can see ideas are popping out over there. Also, I love it because I can easily post links and short descriptions at Wallwisher.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Ahn Hye Yeon,

    It is very difficult to teach large classes but with different level students in the same large class it becomes even more of a challenge.

    One computer is still better than none and I am glad, just as you are, that we are learning in this course a lot of web tools that help us to make the learning process interactive and interesting for students.

    Even though, just like me you seem to have problems with making your students autonomous learners I am sure that this course has taught us so many things that we are on the right way to develop Learner Autonomy and as you say become autonomous ourselves (free from Curriculum strains, flexible with teaching methods and interactive in the classroom).

    Sincerely,
    Liliana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ahn Hye Yeon!
    First of all I have to tell you that's a pleasure to be one of your peer reading partners!
    Regarding your post, I was also amazed at the large classes some people teach and how well they manage to use technology and encourage learners' autonomy.
    Anyway, I totally agree with Liliana that having mixed levels in the same class it's a huge challenge! Is that your current teaching experience? can you tell me a little bit more about it?

    I'm glad we're all having rewarding experiences in this course :)

    See you online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ahn,

    I agree that it is difficult to interested all through out the class if it is a mixed ability class. We have to use tools and techniques to seek attention. If one is lucy to have a computer in the class, one can make a difference

    Good luck

    kinnari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ahn Hye Yeon,

    Yes, i do agree that different abilities sometimes look like a great challenge for teachers. Athough, sometimes we need to have such experience in order to seek the best.

    Good luck!

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    Egle

    ReplyDelete