Sunday, October 21, 2012

Week 3: How to teach Aural/oral skills?

 On this week, I read one of the articles about CALL for listening skills, and take a quick look at some of the lesson plans. The article is about how to teach listening skills by utilizing various technologies. The notable point of the article is that the authenticity of materials is critical for teaching and learning language.

“Authenticity” It IS a beautiful word! However, I always have a question if all authentic materials are appropriate for classes. Thanks to Robert and colleagues who left comments to think, I have a chance to consider it more:

To expose students on authentic English is definitely important for students in all levels. On this process, I believe the teacher takes the role to choose or distinguish which authentic materials are proper for specific level of students; This is why we keep exploring a great deal of websites for us and students. Also, sometimes the teacher needs to refine the materials according to academic purposes for learning particular functions of discourse. “Authenticity” is important, but the teacher has to provide comprehensible input which challenges students a little beyond their existing proficiency.

More and More websites and technologies I’m learning these days! I am happy to know all of them, but try o remind myself of H.Douglas Brown saying: Use technology to support the pedagogical goals of the class and curriculum. That is, don’t design instruction to fit the technology…Technology is a tool and we must remember that CALL includes the word assisted, implying that technology is not the main event in a classroom.

Thanks,
Hyeyeon

No comments:

Post a Comment